The Department of Spanish & Portuguese offers an integrated curriculum in introductory and specialized instruction in Spanish and Portuguese languages, literatures, cultures, and linguistics for undergraduates to fulfill major, college, and campus requirements as well as for those seeking fluency and a solid language preparation for other opportunities. The objectives and goals of the undergraduate majors include the skills of advanced proficiency in oral communication and written expression, an understanding of Hispanic and Luso-Brazilian cultures, general familiarity with aspects of Hispanic and Luso-Brazilian literatures, and an understanding of aspects of Ibero-Romance linguistics.
*Non–L&S students who have permission from their school/college to pursue an additional major within L&S only need to fulfill Spanish major requirements and do not need to complete the L&S breadth and degree requirements.
Honors in the Spanish Major
Students may declare Honors in the Spanish Major in consultation with the Spanish undergraduate advisor.
To earn Honors in the Spanish Major, students must satisfy both the requirements for the major (above) and the following additional requirements:
- Earn a 3.300 overall university GPA
- Earn a 3.500 GPA for all Spanish courses 300 level and higher
- Complete the following 15 credits of coursework, taken for Honors, with individual grades of B or better:
- 3 credits, Spanish 300 to Spanish 680
- 6 credits, Spanish 327 to Spanish 680
- A two-semester Senior Honors Thesis (Spanish 681 and 682), for a total of 6 credits.*
*In certain circumstances (particularly when the student is an Honors candidate in two or more departments), 6 credits in Hispanic literature, linguistics, or cultural studies at the graduate level may be substituted for the Honors Thesis, upon recommendation by the Spanish undergraduate advisor.
- Certificate in Spanish Studies for Business Majors
*Non–L&S students who have permission from their school/college to pursue an additional major within L&S only need to fulfill Portuguese major requirements and do not need to complete the L&S breadth and degree requirements.
Honors in the Portuguese Major
Students may declare Honors in the Portuguese Major in consultation with the Portuguese undergraduate advisor.
To earn Honors in the Portuguese Major, students must satisfy both the requirements for the major (above) and the following additional requirements:
- Earn a 3.300 overall university GPA
- Earn 3.500 GPA for all Portuguese courses beyond Portuguese 301
- Complete the following 16 credits of coursework, taken for Honors, with individual grades of B or better:
- 10 credits from Portuguese 202 to 680, excluding Portuguese 301
- A two-semester Senior Honors Thesis (Portuguese 681 and 682), for a total of 6 credits.
Portuguese Summer Institute
This special eight-week course is designed for people wishing to study beginning Brazilian Portuguese.
Enrollment is open to advanced undergraduates, graduate students, and faculty and other researchers from any institution and will be useful to those who need to develop communication skills and reading knowledge for research.
Enrollment is limited to 18 students.
The Institute will take place at the University of Wisconsin-Madison during the eight-week summer session, June 18-August 10, 2018. Instruction is five days a week, four hours a day and the course (listed as Portuguese 301-302) carries 8 credits. Knowledge of Spanish or another Romance language is required (2-3 years equivalency).
- A limited number of Title VI FLAS Fellowships may be available to graduate students in conjunction with the Institute.
- Summer Term Tuition Rates
- Summer Term Housing information is available on the University Housing website beginning in February.
- To be added to the 2018 Summer Intensive Portuguese Institute mailing list, send your name and e-mail address to Felecia Lucht, Director of the Wisconsin Intensive Summer Language Institutes.
- For updates and announcements, follow the Summer Intensive Portuguese Institute at UW-Madison on Facebook.
For specific questions about the summer Institute, contact Professor Ellen Sapega of the Department of Spanish & Portuguese at UW-Madison.
To apply for the summer institute, please email the completed application form found at the bottom of this page to the WISLI Director, Dr. Felecia Lucht.
The Summer Intensive Portuguese Institute is sponsored by the Latin American, Caribbean and Iberian Studies Program (LACIS) and the Department of Spanish & Portuguese at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.